Thursday, February 17, 2011

What Whit's Reading

Do you ever read a book so good that in the middle of reading it you want to slow down, savor each page, because the closer you get to finish it, the closer you feel like you are losing a friend?

Ok, maybe a little overly dramatic, but I swear when I describe this book to my friends, this is the analogy that I use. 


From the first page I knew I was hooked to this quirky, eclectic, nine year old narrator.

"What about a little microphone? What if everyone swallowed them, and they played the sounds of our hearts through little speakers, which could be in the pouches of our overalls? When you skateboarded down the street at night you could hear everyone's heartbeat, and they could hear yours, sort of like a sonar. One weird thing is, I wonder if everyone's hearts would start to beat at the same time, like how women who live together have their menstrual periods at the same time, which I know about, but I really don't want to know about. That would be so weird, except at the place in the hospital where babies were born would sound like a crystal chandelier in a houseboat, because the babies wouldn't have had time to match up their heartbeats yet. And at the finish line at the end of the New York City Marathon it would sound like war."


Now as a warning, this book is not a fun, light read by any means, but it is a great book that will make you think.


xoxo,
 

No comments: