Monday, March 21, 2011

What Whit Recommends You NOT to Read

I normally do not write hater posts about anything (actually I don't think I've ever written one), but I do always love hearing people's commentary on things, such as books, that I wouldn't want to waste my time or money on. 
Case in point:




I've been eyeballing this baby for months at Target, because I love a good historical fiction and every time I read the back, it made me want to buy it. The only problem is as fast as I read, I couldn't justify the price. Only when I got the Nook Color at Christmas (and I've found the books they off on the Nook are significantly cheaper...well, they better be cheaper if you are going to spend $200 on a device, but whatever) then did I decide to pull the trigger. 


First off, this book left me wanting more. What I thought would be an intense retelling of the tragedies of the Salem witch trials whose author was actually a descendant of a woman who was actually put through a trail herself, was in reality a slow, meatless book of cliffhangers. The author put me in a trance of wanting to know a secret of this mysterious book the mother owns throughout the whole novel yet she wastes no more than a page and a half explaining what was in it. The middle consisted of small stories seen through the daughter's eyes that just left me with a feeling that I had been fed an appetizer and was still waiting for the full course.


And of course, you could have read this book and have totally disagreed with me with everything I just said. And that's fine. But if you want a good juicy page turner, for me, this is not it. And I would hate to see someone else spend money on a bunch of fluff and ending up with a face like the girl on the cover...like I did.



xoxo,
 

2 comments:

Lauren@ Not Your Average Southern Belle said...

I love a good warning NOT to read a book just as much as I do a recommendation! :) We're reading Water for Elephants in my book club right now.

Kim said...

How are you liking the Nook? I was interested in getting one but if I might just get an iPad.

Also I've been wanting to read Water for Elephants for a while now. If you read it let me know.